The Method of Examination
- There shall be a written examination prepared by the Board in the COM-LEX style.
- There shall be an oral examination during which the candidate will be expected to demonstrate special proficiency in structural diagnosis and manipulative management. Oral Exam structure:
- There are 3 cases.
- Time length is 20 minutes.
- Imaging may be involved.
- Possible resources could be radiology texts, Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine & Cecil or Harrison
- There shall be a practical examination during which time the candidate will be expected to demonstrate proficiency in structural diagnosis and manipulative management. These techniques are the most currently used modalities of osteopathic manipulative medicine as taught in most osteopathic colleges today, and include, but are not limited to direct and indirect techniques, such as cranial osteopathy, counterstrain, HVLA, muscle energy and myofascial release. Note that candidates will be expected to treat each other during the practical exam. If there is a problem, or if the candidate has questions regarding reciprocal treatment, he/she should contact the AOBNMM office for pre-test arrangements.
- The written, oral and practical examinations will be weighed equally. Each section of the examination must be successfully completed or require re-testing.
- These examinations will be conducted by members of the Board, The administration of the practical and oral sections of the examination may be accomplished, when necessary, with the assistance of one or more designated examiners who are diplomats of the Board acting with a member of the Board.
Candidates will be required to confirm their intent to test at a scheduled date.
Should a candidate for examination fail either the written, oral or practical portion of the certification examination the first time, he/she must repeat that examination within the next scheduled examination date at no additional fee. If the candidate does not pass the second attempt, they can retest one more time at the next scheduled opportunity, and he/she will be required to pay an additional fee of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) If the candidate fails the second attempt, he/she will have to start over in the Initial Certification process including all required fees and documentation.
AOBNMM Exam Cancellation Policy
- An “excused” cancellation by the AOBNMM is considered to be any cancellation made NOT LESS THAN 30 DAYS PRIOR TO A SCHEDULED EXAM DATE. (A candidate whose cancellation is considered “excused” by the Board will be able to test at the next available exam date at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE.
- A candidate who cancels LESS THAN 30 DAYS PRIOR TO A SCHEDULED EXAM DATE will be required to submit to the Board documented proof of an “emergency”. Upon receipt of such documentation and upon review by the Board, if the Board so deems the cancellation was a result of a “true emergency”(i.e. “excused”) (that determination made at the discretion of the Board), the candidate will be allowed to take the NEXT AVAILABLE EXAM at no additional charge.
- A candidate who cancels LESS THAN 30 DAYS PRIOR TO A SCHEDULED EXAM DATE without documented evidence of an “emergency” (not “excused” by the Board), will be required to pay an additional $250.00 rescheduling fee for another opportunity to test.
- Any candidate who has been approved by the Board to test at the next available exam at no additional charge and who fails to do so, will have to start over in the Initial Certification process including all required fees and required documentation.